mounting an MP3 player?

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Oct 22 23:02:23 UTC 2008

Hi,
Reference:
> From:		Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach <johannes-maria at t-online.de>
> Roland Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > > # file -s /dev/da*
> > > /dev/da0: writable, no read permission
> > > /dev/da2: writable, no read permission
> > > /dev/da3: writable, no read permission
> > > /dev/da4: writable, no read permission
> >
> > Looking into the source code for the file command, this is an indication
> > that the file command cannot open the files, even with the correct
> > permissions.
>
> the permission is 660 for all this /dev/da#-files

Likely that excludes you as you are not owner or in same group.

> > I guess that this device has some quirks that need to be addressed in
> > the driver. Maybe you can find more help on the freebsd-usb list.

BTW some mp3 players eg mine
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/txt/clipman/
seem to detect the power on the cable, & then turn on or off,
& then devd see what the player has done, & itself removes devices
or recreates (& if so with permissions that dont suit).

Solutions include to move power switch of mp3 player to force on
or off whatever, & on BSD end, either work as root, or hack the
devd.conf so modes or ownership of device allow access to normal
users.

Beware if mp3 player decides to power down, that can cause DOS FS
to disappear, mounts to fail, that if they were in use, might cause
a crash, I reckon I've experienced that.  Best experiment first on
a spare BSD box, not a main server others rely on.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com