Panic on connecting external harddrive

Ben Stuyts ben at altus-escon.com
Wed Feb 13 11:05:45 PST 2008

Hi,

On 13 Feb 2008, at 18:36, Ben Stuyts wrote:

> I'm trying, but I can't get a crashdump. I have dumpdev in rc.conf
> set to my swap partition, and during booting it correctly says it
> will dump to that device. My swap is 4 GB and I have 4 GB memory,
> but doing the math it should fit.

Here is something really odd: For debugging I had

options         KDB
options         DDB
options         GDB

in my kernel conf. To find out why it would not dump, I removed DDB
and GDB, and now it has gotten a lot harder to panic the system. If I
plug or unplug the USB drive slowly, I get the usual connect/
disconnect messages and no panic. Only when I connect and then around
3 s later unplug, I get a panic. This is while the connect message
comes by on the screen. (Ok, maybe I'm asking for it at that point.)

How could the inclusion of DDB/GDB affect the USB subsystem? Some odd
timing problem? (And still no way to create a crashdump...)

With kind regards,
Ben