no data from USB wireless mouse

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Fri Jan 19 10:07:16 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 07:55, Andrew Tamm wrote:
> I am having no success at all in getting a Microsoft Optical Wireless
> Desktop Pro mouse to work in FreeBSD 6.2-RC2.
>
> The kernel sees it as:
> ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
> ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir and a TILT dir.
>
> cat /dev/usm0 gives no data, no matter what buttons are pushed on the
> mouse.
>
> After looking online, I saw a few things to try, the first of which to
> recompile the kernel with USB_dEBUG option enabled.  After doing this, and
> cranking hw.usb.usm.debug up to 10, I still can get nothing out of the
> usm0, however, typing cat /dev/usm0 and then hitting ^C gives this
> following message: (note the system has been rebooted with a second wired
> mouse attached at usm0, so the offending device has moved to usm1 )
>
> ums_intr: sc=0xc50bf000 status=6
> ums_intr: data = 00 00 00 00 00 00

Could you try my new USB stack:

# You need /usr/ports/devel/subversion installed

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
#
# The following commands will
# install the driver on FreeBSD:
#
cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
make S=../src package
make install

When the kernel is built, enable the ums debug sysctl. Set it to 15. Then
repeat your tests, if the mouse doesn't work.