no data from USB wireless mouse

Andrew Tamm nemox at deathwish.net
Fri Jan 19 15:53:51 UTC 2007

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>> I am having no success at all in getting a Microsoft Optical Wireless
>> Desktop Pro mouse to work in FreeBSD 6.2-RC2.
>>
>> The kernel sees it as:
>> ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
>> ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir and a TILT dir.
>>
>> cat /dev/usm0 gives no data, no matter what buttons are pushed on the
>> mouse.
>>
>> After looking online, I saw a few things to try, the first of which to
>> recompile the kernel with USB_dEBUG option enabled.  After doing this, and
>> cranking hw.usb.usm.debug up to 10, I still can get nothing out of the
>> usm0, however, typing cat /dev/usm0 and then hitting ^C gives this
>> following message: (note the system has been rebooted with a second wired
>> mouse attached at usm0, so the offending device has moved to usm1 )
>>
>> ums_intr: sc=0xc50bf000 status=6
>> ums_intr: data = 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> Could you try my new USB stack:
>
> # You need /usr/ports/devel/subversion installed
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
> #
> # The following commands will
> # install the driver on FreeBSD:
> #
> cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
> make S=../src package
> make install
>
> When the kernel is built, enable the ums debug sysctl. Set it to 15. Then
> repeat your tests, if the mouse doesn't work.
>
> --HPS

Done, now i'm not getting the status=6 when I cat the usm1, and the mouse still
does not work.  ''ums_open'' appears when you cat the usm1, but nothing else on
mouse move or click.  The other wired mouse ( also an Intellimouse ) giving a
copius amount of data though.  Could the MS wireless require some init code to
be sent?  I've seen that they will work using a PS/2 adaptor, but that seems
messy and improper.

Andrew