USB issues (not just Re: PR backlog)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Dec 27 09:43:08 PST 2007

четвер 27 грудень 2007 10:52 до, M. Warner Losh Ви написали:
> Usually that's called a maintainer, but we haven't had a real one in a
> long time.  Or even a fake one.

Well, you responded to me earlier suggesting, I take it upon myself to merge
USB-advancements from 7.x to 6.x. That implied, somebody did something for
7.x, did not it? Can that body (whoever they are) not put on the vacant
USB-maintainer hat and push the fixes/improvements into 6.x (preferably --
before the 6.3 is released unto the world)? If not that same person, then,
maybe, the people, whom you mention below as "looking at Hans' new stack",
can do the merging?

> : There is talk about a "whole new" USB reimplementation, and somebody is
> : working in the Perforce nirvana-land on it. Maybe, that work needs a
> : closer look by other experts so as to bring it to the FreeBSD masses
> : faster...

> Now you are being insulting here.  There are people looking at Hans'
> new stack, and have identified a few issues with it.  Hans' is working
> on the issues identified, and even provides snapshots from time to
> time for people to try.

I sure hope, you were joking about the "insulting" part. I don't see anything
in my words, that's in any way disparaging or insulting. What troubles me,
however, is that this new work is being done in that ivory tower called
"perforce". Nothing against that particular revision-control system, but the
FreeBSD work "in perforce" in the past tended to take /years/ to be merged
into the project's official repository -- CVS. Probably, because the actual
development is far more thrilling, than the mundane merging from on
repository to another...

But if somebody is, indeed, working on a new USB stack, that's terrific news.
It also implies, we might get a USB-maintainer some time soon. I just want it
soon/er/, because it has been far too long already...

I am with FreeBSD since early ninetees (and don't need refreshers on how we
are a volunteer project). But I can't remember another case of a subsystem
being so broken for so long -- through so many releases.

 -mi