USB device implementation

Tue Jan 17 03:03:53 PST 2006

"Michael S. Eubanks" <mse_software at charter.net> wrote:

> Okay.  I will look into it some more.  I need to get better idea of how
> the USB driver code works.  It looks like there are only minor
> differences between my current driver code and the NetBSD code.  With
> respect to any questions and changes I make, should I contact mux@
> directly using the email address listed on the contributors page?

Every FreeBSD committer should expect to get a mail with some questions, so
mailing to mux at FreeBSD.org is not forbidden. :-)

But he's not "the USB guy in the block". He just tries to port the uhidev
code (maybe because he needs it). So don't expect an answer to every
question.

Unfortunately we don't have an active USB guru around, except Hans-Petter
Selasky (not a FreeBSD committer), but he develops a rewritten-from-scratch
USB stack. So don't expect him to be able to answer questions reagarding the
USB stack in -current.

So far HPS wasn't able to convince a committer to import his work. Partly
because we think that a USB stack which is shared between the BSD's may be
better, partly because the existing stack seems to work good enough for
those committers which may be willing to import the new one or be able to
mentor HPS.

Bye,
Alexander.

The Supreme Court does it with all deliberate speed.