USB PS/2 adapter problem on laptop

Mike Eubanks mse_software at charter.net
Sun Jan 15 21:24:15 PST 2006

I am running 5.4-STABLE on a laptop.  I would simply like to use a PS/2
keyboard and mouse through a USB Dual PS/2 adapter (a PS/2 keyboard and
mouse connect through one USB port).  Any help solving the problem below
would be appreciated.

---------------------------
Problem:
  During boot, keyboard input from both the laptop's keyboard and the
keyboard connected to the USB->PS/2 adapter works.  I can select my boot
partition, enter the boot loader config and make changes, etc.  As soon
as the devd daemon is started, console input is no longer possible.  I
can ssh to the machine and enter the following command to regain access
through the laptop's keyboard:

# kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/console

Once the corresponding command used to switch console input from the
laptop keyboard to the PS/2 keyboard connected through the USB adapter
is used, console input is again no longer possible (through either
keyboard).  Hence none of the following commands from the manual pages
or found through google work:

# kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console
# kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console > /dev/console
# kbdcontrol -k /dev/ukbd0 < /dev/console
# kbdcontrol -k /dev/ukbd0 < /dev/console > /dev/console
# kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/ttyv0
etc...

I commented out the entries in the ``/etc/devd.conf'' file so no attempt
to attach the USB device is made during boot.  In addition, I have
enabled and disabled the usbd in different combinations with the devd to
check if there were conflicts.  My attach and detach commands are
identical either way so I doubt this is the way to fix it, although, it
appears a configuration using only devd would work.  Finally, the same
results are true after using an identical adapter (from a different
manufacturer).

Below is the dmesg and usbdevs output for my first adapter.  The
manufactuer states the adapter is compliant with PC-AT, Mac, and Sun
systems.  The second USB->PS/2 adapter is manufactured by Belkin and
produces nearly identical output (changes only in product, rev, and
vender id).

---------------------------
abbreviated dmesg output:

uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0x1c80-0x1c9f at device 16.0 on
pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0x1ca0-0x1cbf at device 16.1 on
pci0
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0x1cc0-0x1cdf at device 16.2 on
pci0
usb2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci2
usb2: USB revision 1.0
uhub2: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
ukbd0: ATEN International UC-100KMA, rev 1.00/1.05, addr 2, iclass 3/1
kbd1 at ukbd0
ums0: ATEN International UC-100KMA, rev 1.00/1.05, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir.

---------------------------
USB DEVICE LIST

# usbdevs -dv
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 200 mA, config 1, product
0x0204(0x0204), ATEN International(0x0557), rev 1.05
   ukbd0
   ums0
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub1
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub2
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered