uftdi buffer problems with FT232BM?

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at apeiron.net
Wed Feb 15 23:51:11 PST 2006

I've been trying to get a tmote sky
(http://www.moteiv.com/products-tmotesky.php) working with FreeBSD. This
device uses an FT232BM chip and speaks a custom protocol to program a TI
MSP430 chip (using a python program, pybsl, from
http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/tools.html). The device shows up as:

ucom0: Moteiv tmote sky, rev 2.00/4.00, addr 2

and I get /dev/ttyU0 and /dev/cuaU0 as expected (I'm running
6.1-PRERELEASE). pybsl initially attempts to connect at 9600 baud. At
this speed it would make some progress and then fall over. I found that
if I lowered the speed to 2400 baud and inserted a couple sleep calls
into the script it could program the device. However, at 9600 baud it
never worked. I would love to get this thing fully working. I have no
problems programming this exact same device under Linux or Windows, so
the device itself does not seem to be the problem--there's clearly
something weird going on with the uftdi driver, but I don't know where
to start. I'm happy to hack on this, I just need someone to point me in
the right direction :)

Thanks,
Geoff