Nokia CA-42 cable

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 12 08:47:04 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:34:47AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
W> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:51:36AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
W> > M> In message: <20060212094758.GP86448 at cell.sick.ru>
W> > M>             Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org> writes:
W> > M> : I'm lame in USB and I can't understand why Linux supports this device
W> > M> : w/o any additional modifications, just recognising ID, but our driver
W> > M> : doesn't. I'm seeking for advice, that will help me get this device
W> > M> : working.
W> > M>
W> > M> We have a lot of different usb serial drivers.  Why did you pick
W> > M> uplcom to add the ID to?  Linux has merged them all into a single
W> > M> driver, but that driver lacks the refinement our individual
W> > M> sub-drivers have (at least last time I checked).
W> >
W> > As I said, Linux has IDs for CA-42, but they are different to what
W> > I have:
W> >
W> > /* Nokia CA-42 Cable */
W> > #define NOKIA_CA42_VENDOR_ID    0x078b
W> > #define NOKIA_CA42_PRODUCT_ID   0x1234
W> >
W> > These IDs are utilised in pl2303.c, that's why I have chosen the
W> > uplcom(4) driver.
W>
W> That ID is radically different.  uplcom is a good first choice.
W> However, maybe you could try each of the drivers.  I know freebsd
W> makes this a pain, but it is the only way to be sure we don't support
W> it.

Ok, I will try this. Or may be I should follow Linux source and see
how it distinguishes device type?

W> Alternatively, you could open up the cable and find which chip is
W> inside it.  That might be what's called 'hard' or 'undesirable', but
W> it may be the only way to know for sure, short of trial and error...

It is a monolithic piece of plastic, so I'll probably fail to assemble
it after such a surgery.

W> > M> Maybe if you provided more information we could help you more.
W> >
W> > What else can I provide?
W>
W> Did I miss a dmesg from Linux in your earlier message?

Warner, I don't have Linux anywhere! :) I just found information
in internet, that this cable works with Linux if IDs are supplied
with insmod.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE