Nokia CA-42 cable

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Feb 12 08:37:20 PST 2006

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: Nokia CA-42 cable
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:28:41 +0300

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:51:36AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> M> In message: <20060212094758.GP86448 at cell.sick.ru>
> M>             Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org> writes:
> M> : I'm lame in USB and I can't understand why Linux supports this device
> M> : w/o any additional modifications, just recognising ID, but our driver
> M> : doesn't. I'm seeking for advice, that will help me get this device
> M> : working.
> M>
> M> We have a lot of different usb serial drivers.  Why did you pick
> M> uplcom to add the ID to?  Linux has merged them all into a single
> M> driver, but that driver lacks the refinement our individual
> M> sub-drivers have (at least last time I checked).
>
> As I said, Linux has IDs for CA-42, but they are different to what
> I have:
>
> /* Nokia CA-42 Cable */
> #define NOKIA_CA42_VENDOR_ID    0x078b
> #define NOKIA_CA42_PRODUCT_ID   0x1234
>
> These IDs are utilised in pl2303.c, that's why I have chosen the
> uplcom(4) driver.

That ID is radically different.  uplcom is a good first choice.
However, maybe you could try each of the drivers.  I know freebsd
makes this a pain, but it is the only way to be sure we don't support
it.

Alternatively, you could open up the cable and find which chip is
inside it.  That might be what's called 'hard' or 'undesirable', but
it may be the only way to know for sure, short of trial and error...

> M> Maybe if you provided more information we could help you more.
>
> What else can I provide?

Did I miss a dmesg from Linux in your earlier message?

BTW, I agree we should make this sort of thing easier.

Warner