roll call and USB "plan"

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:53:45 PST 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 04:15 pm, Julian Elischer wrote:
> ok, so, who's subscribed? (who considers themselves able to work on USB)
>
> 1/ where are we?
>   I've seen USB commits recently from several people..
>   anyone have any plans and uncommitted work?
> 2/ what do we need?
>  I know we need to look at multifunction devices, and USB2 hub support
> for USB1 devices.
We need to also start rifling through the numerous USB PRs and figure out
what is still valid, this has started, and needs to continue.  I plan on
looking at a few PRs this weekend.  Also pretty much all the NetBSD USB
changes that have been made over the last 3 years that haven't been
imported needs to be imported if possible so we aren't stuck with broken
and diverging USB code.
There are some issues with some stand alone USB mice (Microsoft
Intellimouse Explorer) that don't work.  I've got some preliminary patches
to get some of these partially working.  There are also issues with
various Palm-based handhelds displaying strange behavior when trying to
sync.  There seems to be a timing bug in the USB that I can reproduce with
my Handspring Visor has existed from 4.x to now, causing the first attempt
to sync to timeout.
usbd needs to die now that we have devd.  I'm going to (unless someone
beats me there) create a patch to transfer all of the usbd.conf devices to
devd.conf.  This also means that devfs.rules needs to be documented about
so people can set the permissions properly.
>  EHCI command completion interrupts probably also need work..
> 3/ scottl has said that he wants to work on CAM/SIM and that may impact
> umass.
> 4/ I think we need to do more work on umass devices in general.
>

> I have a work requirement to try MFC some of the more important stuff
> back to 4.x.
> Anyone already doing that? If not, I guess it's mine :-)

That's my 2 cents.

--
Anish Mistry