PathDB (non GPL/GNU debugger) ported to FreeBSD !

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Thu May 19 01:48:28 UTC 2011

--- On Wed, 5/18/11, Jason Hellenthal <jhell at DataIX.net> wrote:

> Sorry - no offense and just my point of view. PathDB may be
> nice but there is nothing that is utterly apparent to be
> already ported to FreeBSD as your subject implies. So I
> went through all the links and most everything I see keeps
> pointing at linux this and linux that then checked out the
> source which has a bunch of gmake(1) files scattered
> throughout and what looks to be deepdencies on GNU GCC libs
> and such.

Well .. the posting was not really mine (it was copy-pasted
from NetBSD's tech-toolchain) but there are two things
to note:

- It is WIP, and we certainly have to thank Pathscale for
taking the time to port their stuff to FreeBSD.
- That it uses gmake is not a showstopper. My
understanding is that when the port is finished it will
live in the ports tree but if we *really* like it a lot
cleaning up the build is not difficult.

> Maybe I hit the Linux repo instead of the FreeBSD one ? did
> misunderstand and '!' is supposed to be '?' in the subject
> ?.

Right now we need options. A specific problem report
building it along with your platform information (or
even better a fix) would be a lot more constructive.

> Anyway... seeing as clang/llvm is the compiler of choice
> for those on
> 9-CURRENT its probably worth noting that link [1] would
> probably be more
> worthwhile supporting rather than something that hasnt been
> ported
> already. Also to note it seems clearly better documented.
>
> 1). http://lldb.llvm.org/status.html

And I wish to see more people working on LLDB, but when I see
someone working on an alternative and asking for feedback
it certainly doesn't hurt to take a look.

Furthermore if we could also have a Solaris MDB port with
full Dtrace support that would be really great, and if
someone finds the code for dbx and decides to work on it
I'll be glad about that too.

Pedro.