PathDB (non GPL/GNU debugger) ported to FreeBSD !

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu May 19 10:00:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:

> Sorry - no offense and just my point of view. PathDB may be nice but
> there is nothing that is utterly apparent to be already ported to
> FreeBSD as your subject implies. So I went through all the links and
> most everything I see keeps pointing at linux this and linux that then
> checked out the source which has a bunch of gmake(1) files scattered
> throughout and what looks to be deepdencies on GNU GCC libs and such.
> Maybe I hit the Linux repo instead of the FreeBSD one ? did I
> misunderstand and '!' is supposed to be '?' in the subject ?.
>
> Anyway... seeing as clang/llvm is the compiler of choice for those on
> 9-CURRENT its probably worth noting that link [1] would probably be more
> worthwhile supporting rather than something that hasnt been ported
> already. Also to note it seems clearly better documented.

Hi Jason,

I don't mean to be rude, but please do a better job of digging into a
project before you try to redirect to another and flame a small new project
like this.
-------
#1 - git clone git://github.com/path64/debugger.git # this is a git clone
URL and not an http one - http link which you can browse posted above
#2 - 3 Makefiles deleted from the tree - It's all nice and clean cmake based
and sorry about the cruft
#3 - Where did you see GNU/GCC lib deps? I'm looking here
https://github.com/path64/debugger/blob/master/src/CMakeLists.txt
#3 - It *does* work *today* on FreeBSD, but needs more testers

I don't own this code, but I can get it fixed quickly.  Thanks for testing
and we welcome competition with any LL* project :)
-------------
I don't know of any public dbx code.  I found hints that it was once
available a long time ago, but I was never able to find it.
-------------
To build should be something along these lines which is fairly standard for
most cmake projects # bug reports welcome
git clone ... ; mkdir debugger/build ; cd debugger/build ; cmake .. ; gmake

For PathDB the best way to help now is run the gdb testsuite and help point
to issues you think are important to resolve in compatibility.  Inside the
source tree is a board file which you'll need for basic configuration.  By
being drop-in compatible we can slightly swap out the system debugger and
have minimal learning curve.  Some thing of course don't exactly make sense
to clone (like MI), but other things will be better (like DWARF4 and C++
support)

Thanks

./C