Removing -pthread from gcc

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 29 10:34:16 PDT 2003

"Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote:
>  --- Daniel Eischen <eischen at vigrid.com> wrote:
> > -pthread is currently a compiler switch, and we (FreeBSD) are
> > one of the very few OSes that have such an option.  It was only
> > there to prevent linking to libc in FreeBSD-[34]; otherwise
> > it would not exist.  Do not confuse -pthread with -lpthread
> > or -lthr/-lkse/-llinuxthreads/-lwhatever.  If autoconf has
> > been taught that FreeBSD has -pthread, then it will have to
> > be untaught.
>
> OK I got it now, everything should work fine then.

No, it's going to break every place that the conf file "knows"
it's FreeBSD, and spews out -pthread into the generated Makefile's
from the Makefile.in, because it "knows" that FreeBSD has -pthread.

This is going to have to be changed on an application-by-application
basis, since the damn thing is recognizing the platform, rather than
the platform capabilities.

Pick 10 autoconf-using, threads-using ports at random, and go into
the platform support subdirectories, and note that the FreeBSD
entry has explicit settings for using -pthread.

-- Terry