Removing -pthread from gcc

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 22:51:32 PDT 2003

 --- Daniel Eischen <eischen at vigrid.com> wrote:

> -pthread is currently a compiler switch, and we (FreeBSD) are
> one of the very few OSes that have such an option.  It was only
> there to prevent linking to libc in FreeBSD-[34]; otherwise
> it would not exist.  Do not confuse -pthread with -lpthread
> or -lthr/-lkse/-llinuxthreads/-lwhatever.  If autoconf has
> been taught that FreeBSD has -pthread, then it will have to
> be untaught.

OK I got it now, everything should work fine then.

Right now there is no policy if the ports tree should try to build everything
threaded. Some ports (at least my ports, when possible) have a USE_THREADS
option which I guess should be default at a future time.

FWIW, the cad/tochnog port gave me less than 5% performance hit when build with
libc_r wrt the non-threaded version (on an UP system - I was just curious).

best regards,

   Pedro.