FD_SETSIZE

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 7 15:23:37 UTC 2013

On 2013-Nov-06, 20:41, Sean Kelly wrote:
> At FlightAware, we are extensive users of both Tcl and FreeBSD. However, we are currently applying a local patch to the lang/tcl85 port to increase FD_SETSIZE from the default 1024 to 4096 so that select() can handle larger socket collections.

Hello Sean,

I see that FD_SETSIZE is defined to 1024 in sys/select.h. Tcl 85 just
gets it from there. Because of this, I don't know whether it really
makes sense to patch Tcl. At least by default. An OPTION (maybe off by
default) to increase this by specifying -DFD_SETSIZE=4096 in CFLAGS.

> Would it be possible to get this patch added to the port? Alternatively, can we add a configure option to the port that enables this? I’d be happy to provide a patch or send-pr, I just want to see if there is interest/objections to this.

Would the attached patch be ok to you?

Thanks,

--
Pietro Cerutti