9.1RC2 bsdinstall partitioning ambiguous

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 22 13:46:06 UTC 2012

On 10/11/12 12:32, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I have taken a look at bsdinstall in the 9.1RC2, and I noted some
> issues with the partitioning dialogs:
>
> 1. It is possible to create a partition with selected type size and
> mountpoint but for freebsd the mountpoint should not be specified, if
> so the field should be grayed out or invisible.

There isn't any way to implement this in libdialog, unfortunately, when
using only one screen. We could have multiple screens (first ask for a
partition type, then the rest of the info...) but that seemed like a
substantial extra hassle for a smaller benefit

> 2. Parition type field is amboguous, it would be nice to have some
> kind of drop down list, or at least list of choices to type in. What
> types are supported? What types are not supported?? I have tried
> linux/etxt2 but none of that works. What is the goal of this
> partitioning utility? Does it only create partitions? From what I
> notices it can only delete existing partitions and create freebsd
> partitions... Does it also format created partitions? Please give more
> work to this tool because this is the first contact with the system
> and lots of people can say "its even worse than linux 15 years ago, i
> will not use freebsd". For clean machine install this might be okay
> but to install on desktop this way its a nightmare even worse than old
> sysinstall way, sorry to say that :\

It supports all of the types the operating system supports (creating
UFS2 and FAT, mounting UFS2, FAT, NTFS, and ext2). There's a help line
at the bottom with the list (no drop-down support in libdialog, again).
For file systems it can create, it formats them just as you would
expect. Can you suggest any way to improve the user friendliness here?

> 3. How to create swap partition/slice - "swap" type gives "invalid
> argument" error.

It's called "freebsd-swap" as it says in the help line.

> 4. Please distinguish Partition and Slice.

The distinction isn't really useful anymore, especially given that the
default for whole disk installs is flat partitions under GPT instead of
a nested arrangement.
-Nathan