Import of the cflow utility to conform to POSIX

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Fri May 26 04:19:51 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:27:21AM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
# Hi,
#
# I wonder, if someone is working on that task to create a POSIX compliant
# cflow utility[0] on basis of the cflow implementation in the ports. If
# not, I would like to take over that task (as I am working on it
# devel/cflow anyways at the moment).

I haven't heard of anyone working on this. I suspect not many people
these days miss cflow, and the few that do simply use devel/cflow.

# Whom would be the responsible to get into detail about it?

This list is most likely the best place.

I expect some argument about making it part of src/ when a port is
available. You would counter that if your version does something that
devel/cflow can not do or your version does better. As a minimum
requirement it would have to correctly process what we have in the src
tree. (I never tested if devel/cflow can do this).

As for basing your work on devel/cflow, I looked at the source and it
says it was put in the public domain by Andrew Moore. However there are
a lot of other authors mentioned. IANAL, but I question if someone can
put something in the PD if it's not 100% his own and without asking all
other contributors. To avoid all these questions, a reimplementation
from scratch with ideas (but not verbatim code) taken from devel/cflow
would be best. A BSD licensed and style(9) conformant result would
certainly be appreciated.

Regards,

	Jens
--