10.1 NVMe kernel panic

Sean Kelly smkelly at smkelly.org
Thu May 21 15:33:59 UTC 2015

Greetings.

I have a Dell R630 server with four of Dell’s 800GB NVMe SSDs running FreeBSD 10.1-p10. According to the PCI vendor, they are some sort of rebranded Samsung drive. If I boot the system and then load nvme.ko and nvd.ko from a command line, the drives show up okay. If I put
	nvme_load=“YES”
	nvd_load=“YES”
in /boot/loader.conf, the box panics on boot:
	panic: nexus_setup_intr: NULL irq resource!

If I boot the system with “Safe Mode: ON” from the loader menu, it also boots successfully and the drives show up.

You can see a full ‘boot -v’ here:
http://smkelly.org/stuff/nvme-panic.txt <http://smkelly.org/stuff/nvme-panic.txt>

Anyone have any insight into what the issue may be here? Ideally I need to get this working in the next few days or return this thing to Dell.

Thanks!

--
Sean Kelly
smkelly at smkelly.org