Keep named going after upgrade to 10-stable

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sun Oct 20 12:34:00 UTC 2013

So I made the plunge and source-upgraded to 10-stable last night, so far without any issues.

It took me a second to figure out how to keep named going, now that it has been removed from base, and since I couldn't find anything on the lists or in the handbook, here's a quick how to.

First, after make installworld, your 9-stable /usr/sbin/named is still there, so your current configuration will continue to work without issue. Only when you make delete-old will the old binaries be removed. In preparation for that:

Install a suitable bind port (i.e. dns/bind99), then adjust rc.conf to tell the /etc/rc.d/named start script to start the named from /usr/local:
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"

And that's it. To be on the safe side, use /usr/local/sbin/named-checkconf to check your config files before making the switch.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811