Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 21 00:54:41 UTC 2012

On 20/12/2012 23:55, Bas Smeelen wrote:
> On 12/21/12 00:40, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> On 13/12/2012 08:29, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>>
>> (On 'pkg check -Ba' producing 'shared library not found' errors for some
>> packages)
>>
>>> Unfortunately it seems to be a fairly common effect in some large
>>> projects. Other packages showing the same symptoms:
>>>
>>>     thunderbird (yeah -- that one was predictable...)
>>>     openjdk6
>>>     virtualbox-ose
>>>
>>> ... and that's just out of what's installed on my desktop: by no means
>>> comprehensive.  As far as I can tell from a quick check, openjdk6
>>> doesn't rely on setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the environment.
>>>
>>> I've raised issue #403 in pkgng Github.
>> I've just finished committing fixes for this problem to the master and
>> release-1.0 branches in Github.  If anyone is feeling enthusiastic and
>> would like to try pulling those sources and confirming that their
>> favourite packages no longer generate scads of nasty errors when
>> re-analysing shlib dependencies, I'd be grateful.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Matthew
>>
>> PS.  If you're running pkg-1.0.3, I recommend you pull down the
>> release-1.0 branch for these tests.  While you could upgrade to 1.1.a1
>> from master, that involves various local.sqlite DB schema changes which
>> will be tedious to unwind should you want to revert to the released
>> version.
>>

> I would like to.
> But just getting used to svn and other new things since simple csup and
> friends.
> How do I pull it?
> I have pkg-1.0.3_1 on a machine building packages for my laptop right now.

Install git, and then something like:

  git clone https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng.git
  cd pkgng
  git checkout release-1.0
  make

then you can run pkg-static from the pkg-static directory, or you can
'make install', and run pkg as usual.

There will be a pkg-1.0.4 release fairly soon though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.