ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 15 20:21:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Warren Block wrote:

> There are people who have difficulty with hal, and a much larger number who
> dislike it.  I'd contend that problems with hal are not very widespread, or
> there would be a call for the Handbook X11 configuration section to change.

Just to add something I should have mentioned in the first message:

One reason for problems with hal is the use of AllowEmptyInput "Off".
Usually it causes the "sticky mouse pointer" problem, but not always.
So many people were using AEI that I decided to write an article about
it: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

The short version of that: don't use AEI at all.  If you want to
disable hal device detection in xorg, use AutoAddDevices Off, or build
xorg-server without hal support.

If anyone has the lockup-on-x-exit problem and is using AEI Off, please
change it to AutoAddDevices Off and see if it makes a difference.  It
may also be due to window manager/desktop environment, or 32- or 64-bit
OS.  Mine have mostly been xfce4 on 32-bit 8-stable, which may be why I
haven't seen it.