ATI Radeon LW RV200 Mobility 7500 M7 locks up on X exit

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 15 16:08:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Chris H wrote:

> On Mon, February 14, 2011 2:35 pm, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Chris H wrote:
>>
>>> OH, one other thing that comes to mind;
>>> Did you let Xorg(1) create your xorg.conf(8) file? and if so (you /should/
>>> have), what was the output? Again, if so, is that the conf file you're using
>>> now?
>>
>> Sorry, must disagree with that.  -configure creates outmoded xorg.conf
>> files, with older options that are either no longer needed or outright obsolete.
>> It also leaves out useful settings.
> So basically, Your saying it's all a "crap shoot", a "roll of the dice".
> The rule is; there is no rule. RTFM does not apply here.

No, I did not say or mean to imply any of that.  To be specific, I would
like to see the -configure option rewritten to only generate an entry
for a 24-bit depth, and to not include all the modules it loads by
default anyway.  That is generally useless stuff that obscures the more
important entries.

> I was only speaking from my own experiences with this same problem.
> I own, and operate 30 FreeBSD boxes here. They range from 7.x-8.x, with the
> exception of 1 6.x. This problem began at RELENG_7 for me. I wrestled with
> it for quite some time - much of it on this mailing list. The only consistent
> thing I could find, was that DISabling hald(8) eliminated most of the issues
> I ran into. I discovered this was the same for many others, while reading
> about others with similar problems on the nVidia/ATI news forums. In fact
> the same consensus was had on the freebsd forums as well.

There are people who have difficulty with hal, and a much larger number
who dislike it.  I'd contend that problems with hal are not very
widespread, or there would be a call for the Handbook X11 configuration
section to change.

> As far as the Xorg(1) -configure goes. It's interesting that when I
> choose nvidia-xconfig to create the xorg.conf(5) file, with the
> exception of the additional nVidia specific options added, the rest
> looks nearly identical to those produced by Xorg(1) -configure.

They probably followed the original as an example.