ZFS and Storage Systems

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Tue Oct 12 12:03:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:33:49AM +0100, Michal wrote:

> Apologies for the basic question but I just want to make sure. I have
> been looking at storage systems like this one
> http://www.icc-usa.com/storage-35-2u.asp. I am guessing it would be a
> case of sorting the discs out, probably on some GUI or command line for
> the box it self, then using a FreeBSD box I can set up ZFS over the
> drives...or is it not that simple?

You say "using a FreeBSD box I can set up ZFS over the drives...", which
doesn't make sense, if I undestand the ICC system. The device appears to
be an NAS system, with an OS, not an external disk bay.

What you would want, I think, is either a) an external FCAL or iSCSI box
that you could connect to another machine (running FreeBSD or some other
OS); or b) a 'storage' server upon which to install FreeBSD and use as
a NAS system.

It may be that the ICC system can export the drives, but it seems like an
unnecessary complication.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL