ZFS and Storage Systems

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Oct 12 12:47:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 02:04:54PM +0200, Greg Byshenk wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:33:49AM +0100, Michal wrote:
> > http://www.icc-usa.com/storage-35-2u.asp.

> You say "using a FreeBSD box I can set up ZFS over the drives...", which
> doesn't make sense, if I undestand the ICC system. The device appears to
> be an NAS system, with an OS, not an external disk bay.

To me these look like "storage servers", i.e. standard server
hardware with room for a lot of hot pluggable drives. This point
in their description seems to confirm that:

+ DSS Lite

That's a Linux based commercial NAS system that you install or
plug into standard servers to turn them into a NAS.

See http://www.open-e.com/

So, IMHO, yes, you should be able to replace that DSS stuff with
either stock FreeBSD or preferrably FreeNAS to turn one of these
boxes into a ZFS based NAS. I'll check with the supplier before
ordering, nonetheless.

Best regards,
Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100