ZFS pool upgrade to v14 broke ZFS booting

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:52:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD guest running under VirtualBox 3.1.2 on Mac OS X.  It's
> running a recent 8-STABLE and is a ZFS-only install booting via gptzfsboot.
>  I use this VirtualBox guest as a test install.
>
> A day or so ago I noticed "zpool status" report that my pool could be
> upgraded from v13 to v14.  I did this, via "zfs upgrade -a".
>
> Today, when attempting to fire up this FreeBSD guest in VirtualBox I get
> this on the console:
>
> =====
> ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 14 (should be 13)
> No ZFS pools located, can't boot
> _
> =====
>
> and the boot halts at that point.  I don't see the boot menu I normally see
> that lists the opportunity to boot single-user; disable ACPI; and so on.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a mismatch between gptzfsboot
> and my current pool version?  (Gptzfsboot includes the message I'm seeing.)
>  Am I supposed to rebuild and replace gptzfsboot every time the pool version
> is updated?  (There was no advisory in /usr/src/UPDATING concerning this,
> nor do I remember seeing it elsewhere.)

Yes, you're running a version of gptzfsboot that only knows how to run
version 13 and below. The commit that brought in version 14 support also
bumped the version number for gptzfsboot though it doesn't look like any of
the code changed; perhaps version 14 doesn't change anything that gptzfsboot
cares about. Try rebuilding and reinstalling gptzfsboot and zfsloader to see
if that helps:

    cd /sys/boot
    make cleandir
    make cleandir
    make obj
    make depend
    make all
    make install
    gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 /dev/somedisk

Of course adjust the gpart command for your setup.

Matt