ZFS pool upgrade to v14 broke ZFS booting

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Jan 27 21:55:10 UTC 2010

I have a FreeBSD guest running under VirtualBox 3.1.2 on Mac OS X.  It's running a recent 8-STABLE and is a ZFS-only install booting via gptzfsboot.  I use this VirtualBox guest as a test install.

A day or so ago I noticed "zpool status" report that my pool could be upgraded from v13 to v14.  I did this, via "zfs upgrade -a".

Today, when attempting to fire up this FreeBSD guest in VirtualBox I get this on the console:

=====
ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 14 (should be 13)
No ZFS pools located, can't boot
_
=====

and the boot halts at that point.  I don't see the boot menu I normally see that lists the opportunity to boot single-user; disable ACPI; and so on.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a mismatch between gptzfsboot and my current pool version?  (Gptzfsboot includes the message I'm seeing.)  Am I supposed to rebuild and replace gptzfsboot every time the pool version is updated?  (There was no advisory in /usr/src/UPDATING concerning this, nor do I remember seeing it elsewhere.)

Now I have to figure out how to dig out from this.  Well, I guess that's what test installations are for... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.