ahcich timeouts, only with ahci, not with ataahci

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Tue Feb 23 19:10:53 UTC 2010

Am 23.02.2010 19:14, schrieb Alexander Motin:
>> I can remember that ZFS hadn't showed the removed drive as offline, but
>> there was no hang. The pool was degraded and after reinserting and
>> rebooting I could resilver the pool. I couldn't manage to get it
>> consistent without rebooting, but I accepted that since I would have to
>> walk on site for changing the drive any way.
>
> That's question to ZFS. CAM and GEOM destroying/creating device
> automatically and fast enough.
>
>> I'll restore the default vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=30, so the hang can be
>> easily reproduced and see if I can 'camcontrol stop' the drive. Do you
>> think I can get usefull information with that test?
>
> Stop won't work for ATA devices. It is SCSI command. And all it does -
> stops spindle. It won't destroy device. AFAIK there is no method in CAM
> now to manually disable some device on-flight. If some device half-died,
> the best way is to mechanically disconnect it. It will help CAM to
> recover as fast as possible.

Thank you very much again. I wasn't aware of that. I thought 'camcontrol
stop' is similar to 'atacontrol detach'.
It's important for me te be able to manage my systems rmotely, so I need
to stay with the old ataahci driver. The detach feature has been
life-saver several times for me, especially with IDE disks. I often had
drives going nuts and detach/attach with gmirror/graid3 rebuild always
solved the problem. I expect to see also SATA drive oddities (maybe like
now) when they replace the old ide servers.

One last quick question: I read about a new feature adopting old ata to
cam. Do you have a link to useful information? Or will a mailman search
list all useful info.

Thanks,

-Harry