Fwd: Re: Fail to use Dtrace on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE

Andriy Gapon avg at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 4 22:43:14 UTC 2010

on 05/12/2010 00:23 Zhihao Yuan said the following:
> HAHAHAHA!  It matters.... Not KBD, not DDB, only the DEBUG=-g option. It seems
> like DTrace requires the symbols inside a kernel/program. Well, now my DTrace
> works perfectly, and the examples on the wiki also work. The next step is to try
> to use it to trace my program. SDT may help. I need to learn more. Thanks guys...

Interesting, thank you very much for the investigation and report!
And your persistence too! :)

I will try to find time to investigate why this requirement has arisen or if it
has always been present, just not documented.
If it can be removed, then good; otherwise I will update the documentation at least.

--
Andriy Gapon