FreeBSD 8.0-BETA4 IBM ServerRaid 8k issues

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Fri Sep 11 16:00:33 UTC 2009

Artis, and the rest of the guys, thank you all for your answers.

Ivan, I was thinking of using one of the techniques you mention (create
two volumes, install fbsd on one of them, and use GTP on the second
drive), but I was wondering if there would be any "incompatibility"
issues with tools like df, etc.

Artis, let me get to your comments now:

> Same problem here, thought we got timeouts also on idle boxes.
>
> IBM support told to switch controller channel speed from auto(3Gbps)
> to 1.5Gbps and update ServeRaid firmware. We are currently running
> 5.2.0-15429 (flashing them almost monthly :) ). You can change speed
> in raid bios, in Ctrl-A menu.
> But this issue is only with sata disks, sas works perfectly.

In case I do this (since I only have sata drives), will I end up with
degraded disk performance? Theoretically I assume not, since 1.5 Gbps is
adequate for *each* disk (it calculates to something like ~178MBps); but
have you tried it on your disks, and everything works OK since (along
with performance)?

Thank you all again for your answers, you've been truly helpful!

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379