mfi(4) endless loop kernel output on attach

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 15 19:18:27 UTC 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009 11:16:23 am pluknet wrote:
> 2009/10/15 John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>:
> > On Thursday 15 October 2009 5:51:19 am pluknet wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> This is 7.2-R. Seen on IBM x3650M2.
> >>
> >> During the boot I get those endless looping kernel messages while on
> >> mfi(4) attach phase.
> >> It's getting more odd since 7.2 booted and worked fine on exactly this
> >> server model
> >> months ago (on different box though).. Any hints?
> >
> > We just had some boxes die like this (but spewing a different loop of messages
> > on boot related to continuously scheduling patrol reads and consistency
> > checks that finished immediately) at work.  We fixed them by swapping out the
> > controller.  We might try stick them in a different box and reflashing them
> > using mfiutil(8) to see if it's some sort of corrupted state that flashing
> > the adapter fixes.
> >
> > In your case it looks lik the firmware keeps crashing and restarting.
>
> Probably it is. Though clearing logs helped me.

Well, from your other e-mail it seems it was just dumping lots of old logs
since the previous clean shutdown.  (I almost mentioned that case in my
original e-mail).  In that case you can simply let it finish walking through
all the logs or you can set loader tunables to raise the minimum class of
message so it skips all the lower priority info messages when walking the
log.

--
John Baldwin