8.0-RC3 USB lock up on mounting two partitions from one USB drive

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Nov 18 11:54:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:13:32PM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is an USB issue or not. If you get READ/WRITE errors and
> the drive simply dies then it might be the case. Else it is a system issue.

The OP should be able to use smartmontools to obtain SMART stats from
the SATA drive within the USB enclosure.  The command will be somewhat
funky, given that the drive is ATA but is mapped through CAM on FreeBSD
and appears as a daX disk.

I believe the following should work, but I have no way to test:

smartctl --device=ata -a /dev/da0

You should check your console logs (dmesg) before and after running
this command, as there may be sense key errors from CAM which can help
determine if SMART is passed through or not.

There's mention in the smartctl man page of a device type called "sat"
which is an ATA<->SCSI emulation layer, but I believe it's the Linux
equivalent of our CAM.

Recent (in the past ~24 hours) commits to the RELENG_8 branch might
provide native capability for smartctl to work without the --type
argument, since mav@ has been improving the CAM layer to work with ATA
disks.