8.0-RC3 USB lock up on mounting two partitions from one USB drive

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.pp.ru
Wed Nov 18 14:57:51 UTC 2009

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:13:32PM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is an USB issue or not. If you get READ/WRITE errors and
>> the drive simply dies then it might be the case. Else it is a system issue.
>
> The OP should be able to use smartmontools to obtain SMART stats from
> the SATA drive within the USB enclosure.  The command will be somewhat
> funky, given that the drive is ATA but is mapped through CAM on FreeBSD
> and appears as a daX disk.
>
> I believe the following should work, but I have no way to test:
>
> smartctl --device=ata -a /dev/da0
>
> You should check your console logs (dmesg) before and after running
> this command, as there may be sense key errors from CAM which can help
> determine if SMART is passed through or not.
>
> There's mention in the smartctl man page of a device type called "sat"
> which is an ATA<->SCSI emulation layer, but I believe it's the Linux
> equivalent of our CAM.
>
> Recent (in the past ~24 hours) commits to the RELENG_8 branch might
> provide native capability for smartctl to work without the --type
> argument, since mav@ has been improving the CAM layer to work with ATA
> disks.

Does not work for my external Seagate FreeAgent Go 500G USB2.0 drive

%smartctl -a /dev/da0
smartctl version 5.38 [i386-portbld-freebsd8.0] Copyright (C) 2002-8
Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: Seagate  FreeAgent Go    Version: 102D
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Wed Nov 18 21:22:01 2009 KRAT
Device does not support SMART

Error Counter logging not supported
Device does not support Self Test logging

%smartctl --device=ata /dev/da0
smartctl version 5.38 [i386-portbld-freebsd8.0] Copyright (C) 2002-8
Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
'-T permissive' options.

%smartctl --device=ata -T permissive /dev/da0
smartctl version 5.38 [i386-portbld-freebsd8.0] Copyright (C) 2002-8
Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 82-83 don't show
if SMART supported.