Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Wed Nov 18 05:59:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

> If that one uses the LSI1068 chipset, do you know which one uses the
> LSI1078 chipset?

Supermicro's AOC-USAS-H8iR uses LSI1078:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-H8iR.cfm

Dell PERC 6/i is based on LSI1078 as well.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pvaul/topics/en/us/raid_controller?c=us&l=en&cs=555

However, these cards are full-blown RAID controllers with their own
CPU, memory and corresponding price.

>  I've seen that number in the comments in one of the mf* drivers (think it was mfi).

Yes, it is indeed mfi that supports LSI1078.

> How does one determine which actual chipset is in which controller?  Do they have that buried in the docs somewhere?

The docs, if you're lucky. Cards listed above mention controller chip
explicitly on the product pages.

--Artem