Xorg hangs with drmwtq in 7.2-RELEASE

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 5 06:20:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 20:15 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> This topic has been recently discussed twice before in the past month and a
> half, but without resolution. It now reappears on my system as I upgrade to
> 7.2-RELEASE. It does not happen with a build from RELENG_7 date=2009.03.13. I
> am desperately hoping for a resolution.
>
> To reiterate the problem: Xorg will occassionally hang. This only happens when
> compositing it enabled. I am using KDE 4.2.2, radeon driver, all ports updated
> to this morning. About a third of the time the kernel locks up, and I cannot
> ssh into the system. The other half of the time I can ssh into the system.
> There I notice that Xorg has the state of "drmwtq", with perhaps some other
> GUI processes in the same state.
>
> The video card is a Radeon X1550. I have tried with and without AGPMode set,
> and both XAA and EXA render modes. No change.
>
> You can look at my xorg.conf and Xorg log at:
> http://www.usermode.org/misc/xorg.conf
> http://www.usermode.org/misc/Xorg.0.log.old
>
> p.s. Posting to freebsd-stable, as this problem has been previously discussed
> here. If this is no longer the appropriate list, please let me know.

Unfortunately, hanging in drmwtq isn't really that informative...  What
this says is that we have submitted commands to the GPU and are waiting
on it to process them.  When userland tells us to wait for the event, we
check to see if the card has already processed the command.  If it has,
then we just return immediately.  If it hasn't, then we sleep waiting on
an interrupt from the card once it has processed the command.  We will
sleep for at most 3 seconds, but userland (via libdrm) will just keep
asking us over and over.

This generally suggests that the GPU is locked up...  Given that you say
sometimes it locks up hard (usually a panic, that you can't see since X
is running) and other times only X is stalled it might be related to
this patch, if you haven't tried this on already.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm_radeon-copyin-fix-try2.patch

I would usually suggest that you try AGPMode 1, but since you have
already tried PCI mode, that should rule that out.  You should be using
EXA on this card, but having tried XAA is also good for a sanity check.

I rarely get to run a card for very long anymore... I end up swapping
cards out a few times a day lately, but I have recently been running an
x600 pcie (r300) with compiz for at least several hours without issue.
If you can figure out a way to reproduce it, or manage to get a core
file from one of the panics that would help.  Preferably without
involving KDE, since I don't run it...  I have also run an x1650 PCI-E
somewhat recently, which is the closest I have to your card, though I
don't remember exactly how long ago it was that I ran it for more than
an hour.  Probably 2 or 3 weeks ago.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>