Xorg hangs with drmwtq in 7.2-RELEASE

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue May 5 03:47:14 UTC 2009

This topic has been recently discussed twice before in the past month and a
half, but without resolution. It now reappears on my system as I upgrade to
7.2-RELEASE. It does not happen with a build from RELENG_7 date=2009.03.13. I
am desperately hoping for a resolution.

To reiterate the problem: Xorg will occassionally hang. This only happens when
compositing it enabled. I am using KDE 4.2.2, radeon driver, all ports updated
to this morning. About a third of the time the kernel locks up, and I cannot
ssh into the system. The other half of the time I can ssh into the system.
There I notice that Xorg has the state of "drmwtq", with perhaps some other
GUI processes in the same state.

The video card is a Radeon X1550. I have tried with and without AGPMode set,
and both XAA and EXA render modes. No change.

You can look at my xorg.conf and Xorg log at:
http://www.usermode.org/misc/xorg.conf
http://www.usermode.org/misc/Xorg.0.log.old

p.s. Posting to freebsd-stable, as this problem has been previously discussed
here. If this is no longer the appropriate list, please let me know.

Thank you,

--
David Johnson