7.1-R to RELENG_7 upgrade breaks re nic

Steve Wills STEVE at stevenwills.com
Sun Mar 8 18:52:28 PDT 2009

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:07 AM, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> Ok, when you plug UTP cable can you see "re0: link state changed to
> UP" in dmesg output? Or if you unplug the cable, you should see
> "re0: link state changed to DOWN"(With "tail -f /var/log/message",
> you can easily check this.)

Nope.

> If this is not the case something is wrong on RTL8168D. Since
> you've said re0 works for a short time, can you see "re0: link
> state changed to DOWN" on your dmesg output right before seeing
> "re0: PHY read failed" message?

After boot and DHCP, it works for about a minute, then I see "PHY read
failed" for a few seconds, network continues to work, then I see "link
state changed to DOWN", network stops working and frequency of read
failed message increases. Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in
doesn't change anything or cause the system to log any messages beyond
"PHY read failed".

> I've also attached patch which may apply to your case. Would you
> give it spin? Note, the patch was generated against CURRENT, so
> you should use re(4) in CURRENT. Just save your old re(4)/rl(4)
> files and download if_re.c, if_rl.c and if_rlreg.h from CURRENT
> and apply the patch.
> <re.RTL8168D.patch>

Unfortunately, for me, this patch doesn't change things.

Thanks,
Steve