7.1-R to RELENG_7 upgrade breaks re nic

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 04:00:52 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:36:48AM -0500, Steve Wills wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2009, at 11:27 PM, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:15:38PM -0500, Steve Wills wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >>
> >>rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
> >>

> >And unpluging/repluging didn't help?
>
> No, didn't help.

Ok, when you plug UTP cable can you see "re0: link state changed to
UP" in dmesg output? Or if you unplug the cable, you should see
"re0: link state changed to DOWN"(With "tail -f /var/log/message",
you can easily check this.)
If this is not the case something is wrong on RTL8168D. Since
you've said re0 works for a short time, can you see "re0: link
state changed to DOWN" on your dmesg output right before seeing
"re0: PHY read failed" message?

I've also attached patch which may apply to your case. Would you
give it spin? Note, the patch was generated against CURRENT, so
you should use re(4) in CURRENT. Just save your old re(4)/rl(4)
files and download if_re.c, if_rl.c and if_rlreg.h from CURRENT
and apply the patch.