Why is sio.c still broken?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jun 29 17:02:33 UTC 2009

> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:12:43 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Lars Eighner <stableuser at larseighner.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I was about to trash a modem because the HDLC and buffer overflows were
> grinding it to halt --- or just about.  I switch slots, changed the modem
> out with and old 28.8, and so forth.
>

> Eventually I discovered some really old stuff about sio.c which
> suggested this:
>
>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 4;
>
> be changed to this.
>
>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 40;
>
> and everything worked like a charm
>
> So I am wondering why this hasn't been changed since it seems to be
> necessary for proper operation of just about the only non-winmodem
> available.

Probably because sio is about to be dropped and no one has given it much
attention of late.

It's probably best to convert to use of uart which is the new serial
port driver and will be the only one in V8 which is in code freeze and
should be out in two or three months.

Let the "I coulda had a V8" puns and bad jokes begin!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)