Why is sio.c still broken?

Lars Eighner stableuser at larseighner.com
Mon Jun 29 17:19:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:12:43 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Lars Eighner <stableuser at larseighner.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>>
>> I was about to trash a modem because the HDLC and buffer overflows were
>> grinding it to halt --- or just about.  I switch slots, changed the modem
>> out with and old 28.8, and so forth.
>>

>> Eventually I discovered some really old stuff about sio.c which
>> suggested this:
>>
>>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 4;
>>
>> be changed to this.
>>
>>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 40;
>>
>> and everything worked like a charm
>>
>> So I am wondering why this hasn't been changed since it seems to be
>> necessary for proper operation of just about the only non-winmodem
>> available.
>
> Probably because sio is about to be dropped and no one has given it much
> attention of late.
>
> It's probably best to convert to use of uart which is the new serial
> port driver and will be the only one in V8 which is in code freeze and
> should be out in two or three months.
>
> Let the "I coulda had a V8" puns and bad jokes begin!

Any idea where there is info on how to do this?  Nothing in man uart is
helpful to me, and if it is the handbook, I can't find it.  I found a few
things about modems and ttys, but I want it for ppp.

Since it seems to work now, perhaps I better stop upgrading.

After all, umass upgrades may my camera useless (except as a way to panic
the system.  Some upgrade or another made the scanner and card-reading
functions on my printer useless.  I can't afford to up to the point that my
modem doesn't work.