status of flash9/flash10 support in RELENG_7 ?

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 25 12:37:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:55:25PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 09:38:05AM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 03:35:00AM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >
> > The Handbook gives a reliable, i.e. reproductible one, recipe:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html
> > 6.2.3 Firefox and Macromedia? Flash Plugin
> >
> > for running Flash 9 under 7.X and with default linux_base.
>
> from what i remember, flash9 with the default linux_base (fc4)
> did not work for me (though i don't remember the details).
> Are you positive that it is a working configuration on RELENG_7 ?

Yes, I did many installations of Flash9 with fc4 and firefox 2 or 3 on
various boxes without any issues.  Since it was reproductible, it's the
recipe I put in the Handbook.

> Especially, fc4 does not support skype (except skype1.2, which however
> does not authenticate anymore), so using fc4 is not an option for
> me and i suspect desktop users in general.

I don't use skype, so I wasn't annoyed.

> > I'm also working on an update for 8.X
>
> i see that for 8.x you suggest using fc10, which is also something i
> tried on RELENG_7 but had similar symptoms. Is there any known reason
> why HEAD and RELENG_7 should be different in terms of linux_base support ?

You should ask this question to bsam (CCed) which is our linux_base
expert.

The only reason I used in the Handbook fc4 for 7.X and f10 for 8.X it's
that they are the linux_base versions used on these respective branches.

--
Marc