SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jul 23 14:14:42 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:53:17 +0800
> From: Eugene Grosbein <eugen at kuzbass.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:14:18AM +0800, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
> > If you conversant in this area, could you help us to identify what is/are
> > the exact function/s in which program/s to look into identify the media
> > insertion activity, so that we can generate relevant devd event.
>
> No, I'm not. In your position I would study the device specs -
> does it generate hardware event in case of media change in first place?
>
> If yes, I'd read sources of umass driver to see how it generates events
> for single flash device and add such event for reader's media change.
>
> If not, there should be polling anyway.

If Linux detects media insertion instantly or Windows detects media
insertion instantly (which I can confirm), there is some signal
available, so looking at the Linux driver should provide a clue as to
what to look for and that can be added to the FreeBSD umass driver. It
would be a very desirable addition, but I am not volunteering as I
currently don't use such devices. (And, no one would like the terrible
code I would write, anyway.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)