What startup script is supposed to handle ipv6_defaultrouter="..."?

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Thu Feb 26 02:01:44 PST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:42+0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:

> On a system running 7.1-STABLE as of early February, cvsup'd with
> tag=RELENG_7 just prior to recompiling the system, setting
> ipv6_defaultrouter="..." in /etc/rc.conf seems to have no effect.
> I'm forced to set the IPv6 gateway using commands outside the regular
> startup scripts.

For the record, here are the IPv6 related variables found in this
particular system's /etc/rc.conf file:

ipv6_enable="YES"
ipv6_defaultrouter="2001:700:XXXX:YYYY::1"
ipv6_ifconfig_em0="2001:700:XXXX:YYYY::24 prefixlen 64"

If I leave out the static address assignment on em0 and the static
router address, the system gets both an autoconfigurated IPv6 address
as well as receiving the router's link local IPv6 address and the
system will use that LL address as the default router.

I'm merely interested in giving em0 a static IPv6 address, and if
possible leave everything else to be determined by the router's
advertisement.

Do I need to fiddle with one or more sysctl variables?

Trond Endrestøl                  | Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
ACM, NAS, NUUG, SAGE, USENIX     |      FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE & Pine 4.64