Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 24 13:31:11 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, aneeth wrote:

>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=130652&cat=
>>
>> OK, will give this a try, unless anyone else wants any traces from this
>> locked machine ? Is there a known way to tickle this bug when I've
>> rebooted, to make sure it's fixed ?
>
> We'v been having similar issues with a couple of our servers as well (7.0
> and 7.1). However the problem shows up only on quad core machines. The dual
> core machines r running fine.

FYI, I'm currently awaiting testing results from Pete on the MFC of a number
of routing table locking fixes, and once that's merged (hopefully tomorrow?)
I'll start on the patches in the above PR.  I've taken a crash-course in
routing table locking in the last few days... :-)

The patches I sent him are at:

   http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20090221-route-locking.diff

They do not include the patch from the above PR which I want to handle
separately as it's a significantly different issue.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge