named stop not stopping

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 24 21:48:42 UTC 2009

Lisa Besko wrote:
> We had an issue with the /etc/rc.d/named script this morning where it
> looped/hung in the wait_for_pids subroutine.  We run a job to restart
> named which calls the /etc/rc.d/named script with a stop command.  For
> some reason named did not stop properly and the process continued to
> list PIDs from the wait_for_pids subroutine forever.  Has anyone ever
> encountered this before?
>
> We are running 7.2 stable and bind 9.4.3-P3 on an AMD system.

First, please verify that you have the latest version of
/etc/rc.d/named installed.

Second, this could happen if the call in that script to rndc
succeeded, but for some reason rndc was not able to actually kill the
binary. In that case there should be something in the logs that
indicates what the problem is.

hth,

Doug