portmaster not ask for port deletion

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 24 19:55:04 UTC 2009

Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
> hail,
>
> portmaster is great, but this is keeping me from using it.I want to fire a
> portmaster -af and let it there until its done. for every package it asks
> this. is ther any way to make it not ask ? delete and go ahead ?

You really want to read the man page thoroughly before you begin using
portmaster. I've taken a lot of time to try and explain how it works
in the man page, and what your options are. In particular, you
probably do not really want to use the -f option on a regular basis
since that does not do what it does in portupgrade. In portmaster
using '-af' would rebuild all of your ports, not just the ones that
need upgrading.

It sounds to me like what you're seeing is portmaster asking whether
or not you want to delete the distfiles after an upgrade. The easiest
way to deal with that is to use '-aD' and then when it's done use
either --clean-distfiles or --clean-distfiles-all. Once again, see the
man page for more information on those options.

hope this helps,

Doug