Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Sep 23 00:12:13 UTC 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 2:56 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> I'd also like to point out that there is another chicken-egg problem
> that has been glossed over in this thread. You have said many times
> that
> it's hard for a company to devote resources to testing a given release
> candidate without knowing in advance how long that release will be
> supported. Several people (including Robert, who is part of the
> release
> team) have said that we can't make a firm conclusion on how long a
> given
> release will be supported until we have a pretty good idea how
> "successful" a given release will be, which requires people actually
> testing and using it. Do you see the problem?

Yes, I do.  And I'm confused as to why the release cycle is structured
to keep this problem going.  This is your own chicken and egg, and
it's a fairly easy one to solve.  Nobody else is creating the chicken
and egg for FreeBSD, it's being created by the existing policy.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness