/usr/local/etc/rc.d getting run twice

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Tue Nov 11 12:11:10 PST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 at 13:45 -0000, Geoff Sweet wrote:

> Greetings, I have new freshly installed servers of FreeBSD 6.3. We
> started our migration before 6.4 was released.  Anyway we have some
> custom tools that we have built startup scripts for and placed them
> into /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  However the problem is that these tools get
> called twice to startup.  Thus leaving us with two instances of the
> tools running.

You probably need the following line added to /etc/rc.conf:

    local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

The defaults in /etc/defaults/rc.conf still try to run startup scripts
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, however these are
probably the same location via a /usr/X11R6 link.

One of the X ports attempts to add this, but I've seen cases where it
doesn't get added.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone