Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 19 17:04:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:58:07AM -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:42:21AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >
> > Is there some reason you're using -DNO_CLEAN, and haven't just nuked
> > /usr/obj/* and done buildworld normally?  I can't reproduce any of this
> > behaviour on any of our RELENG_7 systems.
>
> I have repeately nuked /usr/obj.  That is not going to put updated header files
> where they need to be.

It's apparent you don't quite understand.  The "updated header files"
reside in /usr/src, and ***remain there*** until installworld is done.
The buildworld process will include the "updated header files", trumping
most of those which are in /usr/include.

You do not need to copy any files from /usr/src/sys/sys to /usr/include
or anywhere else to get buildworld to work.  If you're having to do
that, the problem is very likely elsewhere.

> I'm using -DNO_CLEAN in order to get the system to a point where a build just
> might succeed without -DNO_CLEAN and I'm not getting there without some header
> files being in the right place.
>
> Remember I'm starting from a RELEASE userland.  This is just about as bad as
> jumping from one full release to the next :(

Okay, so you installed 7.0-RELEASE on a machine.  Did you choose to
install src from the CD/DVD when installing?  (If so, you will need to
"adopt" the version you installed to the current version, see the cvsup
FAQ here: http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt -- and you'll need to
do this for ports if you installed the ports tree off the CD/DVD as
well)

If you csup'd, what tag did you use?  RELENG_7?  I'm assuming so.  Did
you use src-all, or are you using a custom supfile?  We use
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile.