any available patches for sata: "ad4: warning - setfeatures set transfer mode taskqueue timeout - completing request directly"

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Mon May 12 06:00:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:42:40PM +0900, dikshie wrote:
> i just phone computer store and check together the BIOS.
> it seems my computer store put the disk on IDE mode NOT on AHCI mode.
> after change to AHCI now FreeBSD can detect SATA 300 (for WDC) and
> SATA 150 (for DVD-R).

Great, there you go.  :-)

> BUT sometimes I still getting:
> ad4: warning - setfeatures set transfer mode taskqueue timeout -completing request directly
> ad4: warning - setfeatures enable rcache taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> ad4: warning - setfeatures enable wcache taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> ad4: timeout - flushcache retrying (0 retries left)
> geom_journal: flush cache of ad4s1d: error=5
> ad4: timeout - write_dma retrying (1 retry left) LBA=4139103

1) Have you checked SMART statistics of the drive, or run SMART tests?
Install ports/sysutils/smartmontools and use smartctl -a /dev/ad4, and
provide the output.

2) Is the error always on ad4?  If so, is the error always at LBA
4139103, or "around there" (give or take a few thousand addressing
blocks)?  If so, the ad4 disk may be going bad.  Otherwise, I would say
this is probably the issue I've documented on my Common Issues page.